Nvidia had launched it’s own handheld portable gaming device, the Nvidia Shield. It was lauded for being a very powerful device and bringing the experience of PC gaming to a portable device. It featured it’s own array of Android games that were optimized for it and was also able to run other apps and games from the Google Play.
This article explains how you can unlock the bootloader of your Nvidia Shield. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to modify all aspects of your device to suit your needs which includes but is not limited to, installing custom Recovery images such as ClockworkMod Recovery or Team Win Recovery Project, installing custom ROM’s, custom Kernels, as well as other MOD’s and patches. However, unlocking your Nvidia Shield’s bootloader will void the warranty and even if you re-lock the bootloader, the bootloader will still show a flag that indicates that the device’s warranty is void.
You can follow the below steps to unlock your Nvidia Shield’s bootloader :
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
- ADB and fastboot should be installed in your computer
- ADB and fastboot drivers for the Shield should be installed in your computer
- Create a backup of your apps, pictures, videos, music, etc. as unlocking your device’s bootloader will erase all the data on the device.
- Turn off your Shield by long pressing on the Power button until the power menu appears and then selecting the “Power off” option.
- Boot your Shield into Fastboot mode using one of the following ways:
A. Power on your Shield while simultaneously holding the Power button + Back button + Home button. Release the buttons once the Fastboot bootloader screen appears.
B. Connect your device to your PC via USB and run the following ADB command from a command prompt window:
adb reboot bootloader
- Open the command prompt window in the directory where ADB and Fastboot are installed into and type the following command:
- If your device is detected and it shows your device’s serial number, you are ready to move on to the next step. If the device is not shown, make sure that you have correctly installed the ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Now that your device has been detected by Fastboot, type the following command to unlock your bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
- You will now be presented with the bootloader unlock menu. After reading the disclaimer, use the Back button and the Home button to navigate to the “Unlock” option. Once the “Unlock” option has been highlighted use the Shield button to confirm your selection of unlocking your bootloader.
- Once your bootloader has being unlocked, you will be taken back to the fastboot bootloader screen. You can now power off your Shield and Restart it!