Xperia Z2 is this years flagship device by Sony. It has some of the best specifications. It has a 5.2” 1080p full-HD triluminos display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor, 20 MP camera and the latest Android KitKat 4.4.2.
Xperia Z2 was announced in February 2014. Although released very recently, the developers have been able to unlock the bootloader of the Xperia Z2. Follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
- Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device. Make a proper backup.
- Make a backup of TA partition before unlocking the bootloader and then restore the TA partition after the bootloader has been unlocked (Follow this tutorial).
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z2:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sony Xperia Z2 drivers installed on the computer
- Fastboot zip file
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of Xperia Z2:
- Find the IMEI code for your device. Type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out and note only the digits.
- Download the fastboot zip file on your computer.
- Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/.
- First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the bootloader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
In your phone, tap Service info >> Configuration >> Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
- If it says Yes then on the Sony website at the bottom click “Start Unlocking the Bootloader” and then click continue.
- Many prompts will appear. Just proceed ahead.
- You will fina a “Create Unlock request” page, enter your IMEI name and email address.
- After some time, you will receive a unique unlock key in the email. Save it.
- Now extract the fastboot folder to a convenient location on the computer.
- Enter the phone into fastboot mode by switching it off and then hold Volume up button.
- Connect the phone to the computer and let the drivers properly install.
- Open the fastboot folder and then start a command prompt here by holding shift and right clicking on the background of the folder.
- In the command prompt type the following code and press enter:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
- Now type the following command and replace the “key” in the command with the unique unlock key you received in the email:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
- Done! Disconnect the phone and then reboot.