Nexus 7 is powered by a 1.2 GHz quad-core Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB RAM and has 8 and 16 GB internal storage options. It has a 1.2 MP rear camera and 4325 mAh battery. It ran on Android 4.1 at the time of its launch but it can be officially updated to Android Lollipop.
Previously we saw how to install Android 5.1 on the Nexus 5. The same can be done even on the Nexus 7 2012 version. Google has released the factory image for this device. Follow the guide below to install Android 5.1 on the Nexus 7 2012.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your device getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 7:
- Make a Backup of the data
- Make sure developer options is unlocked
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Nexus 7 bootloader unlocked
- Nexus 7 drivers installed on the computer
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- ADB and Fastboot installed on the computer
- Nexus 7 factory image
- Make sure ADB and fastboot files are placed in the same folder.
- Download the Nexus 7 factory image and extract it to a convenient location.
- Connect the device to the PC.
- Power off your tablet and boot it into Fastboot/Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons until the Fastboot menu and START icon appear on the screen.
- Go to the folder obtained by extracting the files in step 2. Copy and paste all the files to the Fastboot directory.
- Now open the command prompt in the fastboot folder and execute the following commands.
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-filename.img
fastboot flash radio radio-filename.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
- Wait for the process to complete. The device will reboot automatically.