Galaxy S2 was launched in 2011. It is powered by a 1 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB RAM. It had 16/32 GB internal storage options which could be further expanded by 32 GB via microSD card. It also had a 8 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front facing camera. It originally ran on Android 2.3.4 and was later upgradable to Android 4.1.
Galaxy S2 remains one of the best selling devices till date. It really brought Samsung at the top. And while Samsung has forgotten this, some developers have not. They have continued with the developments of this device and have come up with the Omni ROM which will update this device to Android 5.1. Follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your S2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Galaxy S2 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- Omni ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install Omni ROM on S2:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Omni ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the Omni ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.