Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 4.8″ 720p display. It also was the first device to have a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, with each core clocked at a maximum 1.4 GHz. It packs NFC, wireless charging capability, and the latest wireless radios. It ships with Samsung’s Nature UX interface. At the time of its launch, it ran on Android 4.0.4 ICS.
There is a good news for the Samsung Galaxy S3 users as OmniROM running on Android 5.1 is available for the Galaxy S3. This is a very early build of Android 5.1 and Galaxy S3 is one of the first devices to get the Android 5.1 custom ROM. If you want to try out this ROM, follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Galaxy S3 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- Android 5.1 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install Android 5.1 on Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the Android 5.1 zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the Android 5.1 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.