The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is the younger sibling of the Galaxy S4. It runs on a 1.7GHz dual core Snapdragon processor, with 1.5GB RAM and 8GB internal storage (16GB in some regions). The 4.3″ Super AMOLED display has a resolution of 540×960. The S4 Mini runs on Samsung Touchwiz and comes with the standard suite of Samsung apps.
The Galaxy S4 Mini 3G with model number GT-I9190 has received the OTA Android 4.4.2 update which will upgrade the firmware to I9190XXUCNJ3 build. Not all regions have received the OTA. Instead of waiting for the OTA, you can install it manually. Follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your S4 Mini:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4 Mini:
- Make a backup of your data.
- Extract the contents of Odin3 3.09.zip on your computer and install Odin on the PC.
- Turn off the phone and make sure it is not connected to the computer.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode by switching it off and then simultaneously pressing the Volume Down + the Home key button. While holding these both buttons, you need to switch on your device.
- Open Odin. Connect your phone to the computer and allow the drivers to install. You will see the “Added!!” message on Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers for your phone.
- In the Odin Menu, make sure to check the Auto-Reboot and F.Reset options.
- Download the firmware zip file on the computer. Extract it and you will get a file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Click the AP button in Odin and select the file extracted in the previous step. Do not make any unnecessary changes on Odin.
- Click the Start button in Odin and wait for a few moments.
- Phone will automatically reboot. Done !