Sony Xperia Tablet Z is Sony’s first water resistant tablet. At the time of release, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z was the lightest tablet with a 10.1″ screen at 495 grams. It also was the thinnest at 6.9 mm thick. The Xperia Tablet Z is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz. The 10.1″ screen has a resolution of 1920×1200 with an aspect ratio of 16:10. Infrared is also supported so that the tablet can be used as a television remote control.
When the Sony Xperia Tablet Z was released, it came with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Last month, Google introduced the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Sony Xperia Tablet Z did not get an official update to it but you can install the latest version of the Android OS (4.3) on this tablet, courtesy CyanogenMod 10.2 custom ROM. This ROM is available for both the WiFi + 3G as well as the WiFi only versions. Follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your tablet getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia Tablet Z:
- Make a Backup of the data on your tablet
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android device and Email
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z bootloader unlocked
- The tablet must be rooted
- Custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 10.2 zip file (WiFi + 3G, WiFi only)
- Gapps zip file
Steps to Install CM 10.2 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 10.2 zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the device.
- Switch off the device and boot into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the CM 10.2 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the tablet.
The first boot may take some time. Do not panic. After the tablet boots, you will see CM 10.2 installed.