Samsung Galaxy Grand is a mid range device which was launched last year. It has a Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 8 GB of internal memory and 1 GB of RAM. Galaxy Grand consists of 8 MP primary camera and 2 MP secondary camera. It initially ran on Android 4.1 and it is upgradable to Android 4.2.
Galaxy Grand is listed among the devices to get the Android KitKat update but it still hasn’t received it yet. However you can update it via custom ROMs. CM 11 custom ROM is available for the Galaxy Grand running on Android 4.4.1. Follow the instructions given below to install Android 4.4.1 on the Galaxy Grand Duos.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Note: This ROM might contain some bugs. So follow this tutorial only if you are aware of it.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Grand:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install CM 11 ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.