Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was released in October 2013. It is Samsung’s most powerful device at the moment. It has a 5.7″ display with a resolution of 1920×1080 and 386ppi. It is powered by a Quad-core 2.3GHz Qualcomm processor and 3GB RAM. It has 16/32/64 GB storage options. It also has a 13MP camera with 1080p video recording capability and a 3200mAh battery.
Galaxy Note 3 recently received the official Android 4.3 update from Samsung with KitKat expected to release soon. However you can still update Note 3 to Android 4.4 via custom ROMs. There is an AOSP ROM available for the Note 3 which contains all the features of Android 4.4. Follow the instructions given below to install AOSP ROM running on Android 4.4 on the Galaxy Note 3.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Note 3:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install AOSP ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.