HTC’s flagship device, the One, is a 4.7″ smartphone that originally ran on Android 4.1.2 and received a direct update to Android 4.3 last month along with Sense 5.5. It is powered by a 1.7 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor and 2 GB of RAM. It has 32 and 64 GB internal memory, 4 MP ultrapixel rear camera and a 2.1 MP front facing camera. HTC has promised a Android 4.4 update for it also and considering its immense success have already began working on its successor.
Till the official Android 4.4 update rolls out, users can try out the latest Android OS on their devices by installing a AOSP ROM. Developed by RootzWiki recognized developer Stephen Bird, the ROM uses Android 4.3 binaries but brings in almost all of the features of Android KitKat. The ROM has been confirmed to work on the T-Mobile, AT&T and the international versions of the One and can be easily installed like any other custom ROM. Follow the below mentioned steps to start flashing it on your HTC One.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC One:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Rooted HTC One
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- Android 4.4 AOSP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your device.
- Now turn off your device and enter recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down button and the Power button together till HBOOT menu is displayed. Then, use the volume rocker to navigate to “RECOVERY” option and press the Power button to enter recovery.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have thus successfully installed Android 4.4 on your HTC One.
Note: The ROM contains few bugs such as the IR sensor not working.