Google today launched its latest Android 4.4 OS, the KitKat. The OS brings about many features such as new UI, smart caller ID and contacts app, unified messaging to name a few. Google launched it along with the new Nexus device, the Nexus 5 smartphone. Currently, only the Nexus 5 runs on the latest OS with other devices, including the Nexus 4, to get updates later. However, the Paranoid Android team have already released an AOSP ROM for the Nexus 4 which runs on Android 4.4 and allows its users to experience KitKat on their device.
The ROM is a pure AOSP ROM based on the Android 4.4 source file. The Paranoid Android team haven’t yet added their own features to the ROM, with that expected to happen in a couple of days. The ROM is highly advisable to be installed via the latest CWM custom recovery as many users are facing problems while installing it via TWRP custom recovery. If you wish to install the ROM, follow the below mentioned steps.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Nexus 4
- Latest CWM custom recovery installed
- AOSPA ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- SuperSu zip file
- Download the AOSPA ROM and the Gapps zip files and copy them to the root of the internal storage of your device.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the volume up, volume down and power button simultaneously.
B. Use the volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the power button to boot into it
- Now, perform a “wipe data/factory reset”.
- Next select “install zip”, then “select zip” and choose the AOSPA ROM zip file.
- After the ROM installation is complete, go back and choose the Gapps zip file.
- If you wish to root your device, after the gapps have been flashed, go back and choose the SuperSu zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed Android 4.4 KitKat on your Nexus 4.
Note: The ROM is a very early build and does contains few bugs.