Samsung Galaxy Nexus is Samsung’s second device in the Nexus series after Nexus S. It was the first device to run on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and also first device to have on-screen virtual buttons. The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED 720p display. The dual-core TI OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus clocks in at 1.2GHz, and is backed by 1 GB of RAM.
Android 4.4 KitKat was launched recently with many new features. However, Google announced that the Galaxy Nexus won’t be getting the official KitKat update. But the Galaxy Nexus users can still install KitKat OS via custom ROMs. An AOSP custom ROM running on Android 4.4 KitKat is available for the Galaxy Nexus I9250. Follow the instructions given below to install it on your device.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Nexus:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- AOSP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install AOSP ROM on Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.