Samsung Galaxy Nexus was launched two years ago. It was the first device to have virtual on-screen buttons. The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED 720p display featuring the PenTile matrix and curved glass. It is powered by a 1.2GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4460 processor, 1GB of RAM. It has a 5MP primary camera. It was the first device to run on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Google launched Nexus 5 and Android KitKat a week ago. Google announced that Galaxy Nexus wont be getting the official Android KitKat update because Galaxy Nexus fell outside of the traditional 18-month window for firmware updates. However, there is a SlimKat custom ROM available for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus that runs on Android 4.4 KitKat. Follow the instructions given below to install it on your device.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy Nexus:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- SlimKat ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install SlimKat ROM on Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the SlimKat ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the SlimKat ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- To achieve root access, download this file and perform steps 7 and 8 for the downloaded file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.
Note: This ROM is in initial stages of development and might have some bugs.