The Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100G) variant is the one which runs on the TI OMAP 4430 chipset and PowerVR SGX540 GPU as opposed to the Exynos chipset and the Mali-400MP GPU that is found in the GT-I9100 variant. Apart from these features, both have the same 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus screen, 1.2 GHz dual core Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal storage which was further expandable up to 32 GB via microSD card, 8 MP rear camera, 2 MP front facing camera and 1650 mAh battery. Both originally ran on Android 2.3.4 and while the GT-I9100 variant was later upgradable to Android 4.1, the GT-I9100G variant received an Android 4.1.2 update. Let us now see the steps involved in installing Android 4.4 on the Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100G) via Omni ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100G) must be rooted
- Latest CWM Custom Recovery installed
- Omni ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- SuperSU zip file
- Download the Omni ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S2.
- Reboot your device and boot into recovery mode. You can do this by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Omni ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Now to root your device, select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the SuperSu zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Android 4.4 (Omni ROM) on your Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100G).
Note: There are few bugs in this ROM including graphical glitches in the stock browser which is a known bug on all PowerVR devices.