Samsung Galaxy Note 2 was launched late last year after the success of Galaxy Note. It has a huge 5.5″ Super AMOLED screen with a resolution of 720×1280 pixels. It has a Quadcore 1.60GHz Exynos 4412 processor, 2GB of RAM. When it was released, it ran on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS.
Android 4.4 KitKat was launched recently. There is no news about Galaxy Note 2 receiving the official update from Samsung. However, a custom OmniROM is available for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 running on Android 4.4. This ROM is in the initial stages of development so it might have a few bugs. But it is stable enough for day to day use. Follow the instructions given below to install OmniROM on Galaxy Note 2.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Note 2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Galaxy Note 2 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- OmniROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install OmniROM on Note 2:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the OmniROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the OmniROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- If you want to gain root access, download this file and perform steps 7 and 8 for the downloaded file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.