Samsung Galaxy S3, the successor to Galaxy S2, has a 4.8″ display capable of playing videos at 720p. It is powered by a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, with each core clocked at a maximum 1.4 GHz. It has 1GB of RAM. It is available in 16/32/64 GB storage options.
Samsung Galaxy S3 originally ran on Android 4.0.4. It is upgradable to Android 4.3. Galaxy S3 users can also run on Android 4.4 ROM thanks to the OmniROM. This ROM is still in the alpha stages so it might have some bugs. But it is stable enough for day to day use. Follow the instructions given below to install it on Galaxy S3 I9300.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
Steps to install OmniROM on Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the OmniROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the OmniROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.