The Xperia Z was launched in March 2013. It has a 5″ 1080p display, featuring an incredibly high pixel density of 441 ppi. It is powered by a 1.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, Adreno 320 GPU. The Xperia Z also features 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage, which is expandable up to 32GB. It comes with a 13.1MP primary camera. Xperia Z is also water and dust resistant.
Android 4.4 KitKat was launched recently with many new features. Sony is yet to announce when Xperia Z will get the official update. However, Xperia Z users can get a taste of KitKat via the AOSP custom ROM due to the efforts of XDA member pabx. The ROM is quite stable for day to day use but it might have some bugs.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia Z bootloader must be unlocked
- Xperia Z must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- AOSP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the AOSP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the AOSP ROM zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.