The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) team recently started rolling out their Android 4.3 ROMs for various devices. The AOKP ROMs, best known for their numerous customizable options, are quite popular among the Android community along with the other famous ROMs. And the team have started developing latest nightly builds, codenamed jb-mr2, for Android devices. Fortunately for the Nexus 4 users, their device is one of the first to get this ROM.
The Nexus 4 is Google’s latest phone in the Nexus series. Collaborating with LG for the manufacturing of the device, the Nexus 4 was launched last year and ran Android 4.2 with an Android 4.3 update made available this year. With the announcement of a new Nexus device looming large, developers are releasing their new ROMs as soon as possible owing to the large user base of the Nexus 4. We have already seen how to install this ROM on the Nexus 7 (2013). We shall now see how to install it on the Nexus 4.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Download the latest AOKP ROM nightly and Gapps zip files and copy them to the root of the internal storage of your device.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the volume up, volume down and power button simultaneously.
B. Use the volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the power button to boot into it
- After entering recovery, perform a “Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have now successfully installed AOKP (Android 4.3) ROM on your Nexus 4.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and so may contain few bugs.