The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) ROM is a popular ROM along with the CyanogenMod (CM) ROM in the Android world. It is most widely known for the loads of options that it offers with regards to customizing the look and feel of the ROM as per your choice. And though they support fewer devices as compared to the CM ROM, its developers almost instantly roll out stable builds after the initial nightly releases. This team of developers have now started rolling out their new JB-MR2 builds running Android 4.3 for the devices. The Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi version, codenamed Flo, is one such device to get this update.
The Nexus 7 was the first device to run Google’s Android 4.3 in it. Launched a few months back, the new Nexus is thinner, narrower and lighter than the old one. It features a 7-inch, 1200 x 1920 display, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4Pro quad-core chip, 2 GB of RAM, and 16 or 32 GB of internal storage. We have already seen how to install CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and Paranoid Android 3.99 ROM on this device. Let us now see how to install the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 7 (2013):
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2013) with Custom recovery (TWRP) installed
- Unlocked bootloader
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your device.
- Turn off the device and boot into fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, then press and hold Power. From there, boot into recovery.
- Now select “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next go back to recovery and tap on “Install”. Select the AOKP ROM zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Again go back and select the Gapps zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Finally reboot your device after the installation is complete.
You have now successfully installed AOKP ROM running Android 4.3 on your Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi edition.