The AOKP ROMs have been updated to the latest Android 4.3 version. This is of great benefit to users who have devices which are yet to receive the official Android 4.3 update from the manufacturers. The AOKP ROMs additionally offer various customizing options to users to choose the look and feel of the ROM as per their need.
The Xperia Tablet Z was launched earlier this year by Sony. It was the thinnest and lightest tablet among all at the time of its launch. It was 6.9 mm thick and weighed just 495 grams. It had a 10.1-inch LED-backlit LCD display at a resolution of 1920×1200. It was powered by a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor and 2 GB RAM. It had 16 GB internal storage and a slot for expandable memory up to 64 GB. It ran on Android 4.1.2 which was upgradable to Android 4.2. We have already seen how to install CM 10.2 ROM on this device. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia Tablet Z:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android and Email
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z must be bootloader unlocked
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z must be rooted
- Custom Recovery must be installed
- AOKP ROM zip file (Wi-Fi or LTE)
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM nightly zip file as per your tablet variant (Wi-Fi or LTE) and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your device.
- Switch off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Once in recovery, tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Then tap on “Install”, choose the AOKP ROM zip file and then perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Again tap on “Install”, choose the Gapps zip file this time and then perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- After the flashing is complete, tap on “Reboot System”.
That’s it. You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.3) on your Sony Xperia Tablet Z.
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.