The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) ROMs offer the most number of customizing options to its users than any other ROM. This range from changing the height, amount of transparency of the navigation bar, adding shortcuts of your favorite apps to it, applying images to the notification bar, creating your own custom vibrations for notifications from different apps and much more. These features are what make the AOKP standout among other ROMs and makes it popular among the Android community.
The Sony Xperia Z was launched earlier this year and was highly promoted for being a waterproof and dustproof Android smartphone. It had 5″ 1080p LCD display, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor, 13 MP rear camera and Android 4.1.2 upgradable to 4.2.2. We will now install Android 4.3 in it through this ROM. We have already seen how to install the Google Play Edition ROM (Android 4.3) on it. Let us now see how to install the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia Z bootloader must be unlocked
- Xperia Z must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM nightly and Gapps zip files and copy them to the SD card of your device.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Now perform “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
AOKP ROM (Android 4.3) has been successfully installed on your Sony Xperia Z.
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.