The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) developers have started rolling out Android 4.3 ROMs for various devices. Their ROMs are very popular among users for the array of customizing options that it offers. As a result, their new ROMs are an added bonus for users with devices which haven’t yet received an official Android 4.3 update and are still stuck on the previous versions. Although this latest ROM by AOKP is still in the nightly stage, it is surely worth trying it out and a new build is made available by the team after every three days.
The Xperia ZL was launched along with the Xperia Z earlier this year. It featured the same specs as the Z: 5″ 1080p LCD screen with Sony’s Bravia Engine 2, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage expandable up to 64 GB and Android 4.1.2 upgradable to 4.2.2. The only major difference between the two phones was that the Z is waterproof and dustproof whereas the ZL isn’t. The Z also has a glass back whereas the ZL doesn’t and the ZL features a hardware camera button which is absent in the Z. We have already seen how to install CM 10.2 ROM on the Xperia ZL. We shall now see the procedure for installing AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia ZL:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia ZL bootloader must be unlocked
- Xperia ZL must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest nightly build of the AOKP ROM for the Xperia ZL and the Gaaps zip file and copy them to the SD card of your device.
- Turn off your phone and boot into recovery.
- Now perform “Data Wipe/Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file which you copied to your SD card previously.
- Again select “Install” and choose the Gapps zip file to flash the Gapps.
- Lastly reboot your device to complete the process.
That’s it. You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.3) on your Sony Xperia ZL smartphone.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and so may contain few bugs.