The HTC One is one of the best smartphones of this year. Impressive hardware specs coupled with HTC’s very own Sense UI makes the One a complete package. On the hardware front, it has a 4.7″ LCD display, a 1.7 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, 2 GB RAM, 32 and 64 GB internal memory, 4 MP ultrapixel rear camera and a 2.1 MP front facing camera. The One originally ran on Android 4.1.2 with an Android 4.3 update made available later.
With the launch of Android 4.4, the latest Android version update has also been planned for it which will be released soon. However, users can install Android 4.4.2 on their One now itself by flashing the AOKP ROM. The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) ROM based on Android 4.4.2 was released a few days back and the nightly build is available for the One. The detailed installation process is as follows:
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC One:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC One must be rooted
- Bootloader must be unlocked
- Latest CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your HTC One.
- Now boot into recovery. You can follow this method: Turn off your device and then press the volume down and power button together until the HBOOT menu is displayed. Then use the volume button to navigate to “Recovery” and select it using the power button.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) has been successfully installed on your HTC One
Note: The ROM being a nightly may contain few bugs.