The Android 4.4.2 based AOKP ROM is now available for the different variants of the LG G2. The ROMs are nightly builds which are updated and new builds are released daily. Although only nightlies, they do offer the users the chance to install and run the latest version of Android on the G2, a major upgrade from the Android 4.2.2 on which the G2 currently runs.
The LG G2 was announced in August of last year as the flagship device of the company. It has a 5.2 inch True HD-IPS screen, a 2.26 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal storage but no external memory card slot, 13 MP rear camera and a 2.1 MP front facing camera. We had previously seen how to install the CyanogenMod 11 ROM on the International variant of it. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your LG G2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- LG G2 must be rooted
- LG G2 must be bootloader unlocked
- Custom recovery must be installed
- AOKP ROM zip file (AT&T LG G2, Verizon LG G2, T-Mobile LG G2, Sprint LG G2, International LG G2)
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file according to your device model and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your LG G2.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.
If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your LG G2.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and may contain few bugs.