The highly customizable Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) ROMs have been updated to the latest Android 4.4.2 version and are now available for various devices. The nightly builds feature new ROM control, toggles and other stuff. Many new features are also expected to be added to the newer builds.
The Nexus 4, which originally ran on Android 4.2, received an Android 4.4.2 update recently. The predecessor to the recently launched Nexus 5 smartphone, the Nexus 4 has a 4.7″ display, 1.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, Adreno 320 GPU, 2 GB RAM and 8/16 GB internal storage options. We had previously seen how to install this ROM on the Nexus 5. Let us now see the steps involved in installing it on the Nexus 4.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 4 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 4.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously.
B. Use the Volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.
If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Nexus 4.
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.