Though it has been quite a while now since Android 4.4 was launched, the official update till now has been made available for very few devices, with almost all of those devices being the Nexus ones itself. However, Google strangely did not roll out the update for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with it still running on Android 4.3. This is where custom ROMs come to the rescue which allow users to experience the latest Android OS on their devices.
The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) team have now developed their Android 4.4.2 based ROM for the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED 720p display, dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage, 5 MP rear camera and 1.3 MP front facing camera. It originally ran on Android 4.0. We had previously seen how to install the official CM 11 ROM, which also runs on Android 4.4, on this device. Let us now see how to install the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9250)
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- Now switch off your phone and boot into recovery.
- Next you have to perform a full data wipe. If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Note: As the ROM is still a nightly, it may contain some bugs.