The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE received the official Android 4.3 update a couple of months back. The update included new features such as Samsung Knox security suite, new lockscreen, new S voice, some UI updates and most importantly the support for Samsung Galaxy Gear. However, as Android 4.4 was already launched by Google before that, many users were eager to try out the new Android OS rather than Android 4.3. And so the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) team have developed their Android 4.4.2 based ROM for the device which lets users experience the latest Android KitKat OS.
The Galaxy Note 2 is the highly successful predecessor to the Galaxy Note 3 phablet. Launched in 2012, the Galaxy Note 2 had a 5.5″ Super AMOLED display, 1.6 GHz Quad-Core Exynos 4412 processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB internal memory, 8 MP Rear Camera, 1.9 MP Front Camera and originally ran on Android 4.1.1. We had previously seen how to install the Android 4.3 based AOKP ROM on this device. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the Android 4.4 based AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE (N7105) must be rooted
- Latest CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Galaxy Note 2.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power buttons.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe. If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Reboot your device.
You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE (N7105).
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.