The Android 4.4.2 based AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROM is now available on their website for the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300). The ROM is still a nightly build but the RAM management of the ROM seems to be pretty good as does the battery life. The biggest advantage of using this ROM however is that users can run the latest Android KitKat OS on their device, rather than the Android 4.3 on which the Galaxy S3 currently runs after officially updating it.
The Galaxy S3 features a 4.8 inch Super AMOLED screen. It is powered by a 1.4 GHz quad core Cortex-A9 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It has an 8 MP rear camera and 1.9 MP front facing camera. The internal storage varies from 16, 32 to 64 GB with an additional 64 GB expandable by a microSD card. We had previously seen how to install Android 4.4 on it by installing the Omni ROM and the official CM 11 ROM. Let us now see how to install the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) must be rooted
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Turn off your phone and boot into recovery mode.
- Next you have to perform a full data wipe. If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300).
Note: The ROM is still a nightly build and so may contain few bugs.