CyanogenMod was the first among the major custom ROM developers to release their ROMs based on the Android 4.4 KitKat OS. And though the Paranoid Android team did roll out Android 4.4 based ROMs before the CM team, their ROMs were pure AOSP based rather than being custom ones. And now, another bigwig within the ROM community, the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) team, have released their first nightly ROMs for various devices. The ROMs are based on the latest version of Android, Android 4.4.2, and we will see how to install it on the Nexus 5 first.
The latest device in the Nexus line of smartphones, the Nexus 5 was launched a few months back along with the new Android KitKat OS. The device sports a 4.95″ True HD IPS Plus display. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 2.3 GHz quad-core processor and an Adreno 330 GPU. It has 2 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal memory and 2300 mAh battery. We had previously seen how to install official CyanogenMod 11 ROM on this device. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the AOKP ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 5:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 5 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Latest CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery installed
- AOKP ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest AOKP ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 5.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously.
B. Use the Volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.
If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully installed AOKP ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Nexus 5.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and may contain some bugs.