Nexus 4, manufactured by LG, was the fourth smartphone in the Nexus series. Nexus 4 has a 4.7″ display with a resolution of 768 x 1280 (320ppi). It is powered by a 1.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, Adreno 320 GPU and 2GB of RAM. It has 8/16 GB storage options. It comes with the virtual on-screen buttons that were first seen in the Galaxy Nexus.
Traditionally, Nexus phones are the first to receive the latest Android OS updates. However Nexus 4 hasn’t received an Android 4.4 KitKat update yet. Nexus 4 users can install Android 4.4 on their devices via the CM 11 custom ROM. We have already seen how to install Paranoid Android ROM on Nexus 4. If you want to install CM 11 on Nexus 4, follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Note: This ROM is in initial stages of development. It might have some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 4 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 on Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.