Sony Xperia P is one of the many mid-range devices launched by Sony in 2012. It has a 4″ screen with a 540×960 resolution. It is powered by Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 1GB of RAM. Xperia P has internal memory of 16GB with no SD card slot. It initially ran on Android 2.3 and it was upgradable to Android 4.1.
Android 4.4 was released a few weeks ago and Xperia P might not receive the official update. However you can taste KitKat on the Xperia P via the CM 11 custom ROM. The ROM is still in the Alpha stages and undergoing development. You can try it out on your Xperia P. Follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Note: The ROM might have some bugs.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia P:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia P must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to install CM 11 on Xperia P:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 11 zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the CM 11 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip”, then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.