The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) originally ran on Android 4.1.1 when it was launched last year. It later received an Android 4.1.2 update and an Android 4.3 update is on the cards. However, with the launch of Android 4.4 now, its users would like to install the latest OS on their device. We have already seen how to do this by installing the Omni ROM on the phablet. Let us now see how you can install CM 11 ROM which also lets users run Android 4.4 on the Galaxy Note 2. The ROM is an unofficial CM 11 developed by XDA Senior Member ThdDude. The ROM does contain some bugs which are listed in the end. But the combination of CyanogenMod and Android 4.4 may be too hard to resist for users. So go ahead, follow the below steps and try it out on your Galaxy Note 2.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 2
- Latest CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- SuperSu zip file
- Download the CM 11 ROM and the Gapps zip files and copy them to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power buttons.
- Now select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
- Now go to “advanced” and select “wipe dalvik cache” and choose “Yes”.
- Next go to “mounts and storage” and select “format /system” and choose “Yes”.
- Now select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- If you want to root your device, select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the SuperSu zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM (Android 4.4) on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (N7100).
Note: The ROM contains few bugs such as sensors in call not working, video play back not working from camera app, CM file explorer force closes, xposed framework not working and CM settings not yet implemented.