The official CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM is still a few days away from releasing. In the mean time though, many unofficial ROMs have been developed that allows users to run Android 4.4 on their devices. We had seen how to install CM 11 ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S and also on the Samsung Galaxy S4. Now, an unofficial CM 11 ROM has also come out for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100). Developed by XDA Recognized Developer Wayland_ACE, the ROM seems to be free of any major bugs and best of all, allows users to experience the Android KitKat OS on their devices.
The Galaxy S2 was the world’s thinnest smartphone (only 8.49 mm thick) when it was launched in 2011. It sported a 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus screen, 1 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB RAM. It had 16/32 GB internal storage which was further expandable up to 32 GB via microSD card. It also had a 8 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front facing camera. It had a 1650 mAh battery and ran on Android 2.3.4 which was later upgradable to Android 4.1. Let us now see how you can run Android 4.4 on it by installing the CM 11 ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) must be rooted
- Latest CWM Custom Recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S2.
- Reboot your device and boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM (Android 4.4) on your Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).