With official Android 4.4 updates yet to come out for non-Nexus devices, its users have to rely on the custom ROMs that allow them to experience the latest Android OS on their devices. However, even the custom ROM bigwigs that are favored by users (CyanogenMod, AOKP etc.), haven’t released their official builds for any device yet. Luckily for the users, independent developers have started building Android 4.4 custom ROMs including unofficial CM 11, Omni and other AOSP based ROMs for various devices. XDA Senior Member mcampbellsmith has developed one such unofficial CM 11 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305).
The Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9305) is the LTE version of the smartphone that was launched last year. It had a 4.8 inch Super AMOLED screen and was powered by a 1.4 GHz quad core Cortex-A9 processor and 2 GB of RAM. The internal storage of the phone was 16 GB which was further upgradable up to 64 GB. It had an 8 MP rear camera and 1.9 MP front facing camera. It originally ran on Android 4.1.1 with an Android 4.3 update released later. Let us now see how you can run Android 4.4 on it by following the below steps and installing CM 11 ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305)
- Latest CWM recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Now select “install zip from sd card”, then “select zip from sd card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from sd card”, then “select zip from sd card” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Next select “wipe data/factory reset” and choose “Yes”.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305).
Note: Do not restore apps using Titanium Backup as it might cause problems.