CyanogenMod today finally released its installer app on the Play Store. It allows users to easily install CM ROMs on their devices. The CyanogenMod team is yet to officially release their Android 4.4 based CM 11 ROMs for the Android community. However, many unofficial CM 11 ROMs have already been developed by many developers for various devices. And the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini is one such device to get the ROM courtesy of XDA Senior Member New Macław.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini was launched last year after its big brother, the Galaxy S3. It had a 4″ WVGA Super AMOLED Display, 1 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM, 8/16 GB internal storage which was expandable further up to 32 GB via a microSD card, 5 MP rear camera, a VGA front facing camera, 1500 mAh battery and ran on Android 4.1. Let us now see how to run Android 4.4 on it by installing CM 11 ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy Note S3 Mini:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190)
- MaclawStudio’s TWRP v18.104.22.168 recovery
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the MaclawStudio’s TWRP recovery zip file, CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Select “install zip” then “select zip” and choose the MaclawStudio’s TWRP recovery zip file.
- After the installation is complete, select “reboot recovery”.
- Now you will be in the MaclawStudio’s TWRP recovery. Tap on “Install”, select the CM 11 ROM zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Go back and again Tap on “Install”, select the Gapps zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Now tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Finally reboot your device.
Note: The ROM contains the following bugs:
i) External SD card not recognized by system.
ii) Issues with camera freezing