The Samsung Galaxy S4 recently received the Android 4.3 update. However, with the launch of Android 4.4 now, users of the Galaxy S4 would like to experience the latest Android OS on their devices. Luckily for them, XDA Senior Member jamal2367 has developed an unofficial CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM for it which lets users install Android 4.4 on their Galaxy S4.
The Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) is powered by a 1.9 GHz quad-core processor, Adreno 320 GPU and 2 GB DDR3 RAM. It has a 5″ Full HD Super AMOLED screen, 13 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front camera. It also has 16/32/64 GB internal storage which can be further expanded up to 64 GB via a microSD card. The Galaxy S4 is Samsung’s flagship device and with an Android 4.3 update made available just last month, it may be a while till it receives official Android 4.4. However, you can install the unofficial one right away by following the below steps.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
- Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Switch off your phone and boot into recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding volume up, home and power buttons. The phone will vibrate after some time and then you may release the power button but still pressing the other two. Once some blue text appears on the top left of the screen, you may let go the remaining two buttons as well.
- Once you enter recovery, select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
- Now select “advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose “Yes”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM (Android 4.4) on your Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).
Note: IR Blaster, screen rotation and proximity sensor are not working in this ROM.