Many Android 4.4 custom ROMs have already been developed for some devices. However, all of those ROMs are AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based which are pure Android ROMs based on the source file and without any custom tweaks. The CyanogenMod (CM) team announced last week that efforts are already underway for their new Android 4.4 ROMs, the CM 11, and that official updates will arrive soon. However, XDA Senior Member jermaine151 has gone one step ahead and released an unofficial CM 11 ROM for the AT&T (I747) and T-Mobile (T999) variants of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
The Galaxy S3 was launched by Samsung last year and originally ran on Android 4.0.4 and was later updated to Android 4.3. It had a 4.8″ Super AMOLED display and quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 processor. It had 1 GB of RAM, 16/32/64 GB internal memory which was expandable by 64 GB via microSD slot and a 8 MP rear camera and 1.9 MP front facing camera. The unofficial CM 11 ROM does have some bugs like issues with external SD card mounting, emoticons in keyboard while using Hangouts and front facing camera. However, if you wish to experience Android 4.4 on your Galaxy S3, follow the below mentioned steps to install the ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (I747) or T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 (T999)
- Latest CWM recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Switch off your device and boot into recovery mode. You can do this by pressing and holding the Home + Volume Up + Power buttons.
- Now select “wipe data/factory reset” and choose “Yes”.
- Next select “mounts and storage”, then “format system” and then choose “Yes”.
- Now select “install zip from sd card”, then “select zip from sd card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
- Go through the CM 11 setup and then again boot into recovery mode.
- Select ”install zip from sd card”, then “select zip from sd card” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3.