The Galaxy Gear is Samsung’s Android based smartwatch with a 1.63″ Super AMOLED display , 800 MHz ARM processor, 512 MB RAM, 4 GB internal storage, 1.9 MP camera, Bluetooth 4.0 and a 315 mAh non-removable battery. It originally worked only with the Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 10.1, but now supports a few more Samsung devices as and when they are updated.
We had previously seen how to install apps on the Galaxy Gear and also how you can root it. Now,what seems to be a huge step in its development, a custom ROM has been developed for it. Built by XDA Senior Member fOmey, the “null ROM” is based on MK7 stock ROM and is rooted and also deodexed and has a lot of customizing options. Follow the below mentioned steps to install the ROM on the Galaxy Gear.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
- Download the Odin v3.09 zip file and the null ROM file to your computer.
- Press and hold the Power button of your Galaxy Gear till the Restart screen appears.
- Next press the Power button 5 times to enter recovery mode.
- Now again press the Power button to navigate to the download mode option.
- Press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds to enter the download mode.
- Now connect your Galaxy Gear to your computer via USB cable.
- Unzip the odin zip file and run the Odin3 v3.09.exe file.
- Select the AP option and choose the null ROM zip file that you downloaded in step 1. Leave the other options as they are.
- Make sure that the Galaxy Gear has been recognized by Odin by checking that the device can be seen in the ID:COM section.
- Click on Start and wait for the process to complete.
You have successfully installed the null custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch.