Sony Xperia Z1 is Sony’s latest flagship device with the 20.7MP camera the most eye-catching feature of this phone. Along with the excellent camera, the Xperia Z1 has some great specifications. It has a 5″ screen with a resolution of 1080×1920 pixels. It is powered by a Snapdragon 800 Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400 processor along with a 2GB of RAM. It has 16GB internal memory which is expandable up to 64GB.
We have already seen how to root Xperia Z1 and how to unlock the bootloader of Sony Xperia Z1. If you are a fan of custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android or AOKP, a custom recovery is essential to install it on the Xperia Z1. In this tutorial, we will see how to install CWM custom recovery on the Xperia Z1. Follow the instructions given below.
Note: This tutorial is only for the Xperia Z1 running on firmware 518 and firmware 526.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Xperia Z1:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sony Xperia Z1 drivers installed on the computer
- Fastboot zip file
- Recovery file (Firmware 518, Firmware 526)
Steps to Install CWM Recovery on Xperia Z1:
- Make sure Xperia Z1 drivers are properly installed.
- Download the fastboot zip file on your computer and extract it to a convenient location.
- Download the appropriate recovery file for your firmware and copy it to the folder where the fastboot zip files were extracted.
- Enter the phone into fastboot mode by switching it off and then hold Volume up button.
- Connect the phone to the computer and let the drivers properly install.
- Open the fastboot folder and then start a command prompt here by holding shift and right clicking on the background of the folder.
- Users on firmware 526, in the command prompt type the following code and press enter:
fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v3.img
Users on firmware 518, in the command prompt type the following code and press enter:
fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v2.img
- Now to enter the CWM recovery, type the following command and press enter:
adb reboot recovery
- Another way to enter the CWM recovery is to make the use of this app.