The Xperia Z Ultra is one of the latest Android devices to come from Sony in 2013. Sporting a staggering 6.4″ full HD display, the Xperia Z Ultra could certainly be considered a phablet. The device is powered by a quad core 2.2GHz Qualcomm processor, Adreno 330 GPU, 2GB RAM and LTE connectivity. It is IP58 certified, meaning it is dust and water proof, and water resistant to 1 meter or 30 minutes. It features an 8MP camera, 16GB of internal storage and it runs on a large 3050mAh battery.
If you want to root this device, first you will have to unlock the bootloader of this phone and then install any custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. To unlock the bootloader, you will have to check out Sony’s official website. Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can proceed to install the custom recovery. In this guide, we will see how to install both the CWM and TWRP recovery (dual recovery) on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
This tutorial is only for Sony Xperia Z Ultra with 510 and 493 LTE firmware. Do not use it for any other carriers or variants.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra drivers installed on the computer
- Fastboot zip file
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra bootloader unlocked (check Sony’s official site)
- Recovery image file
Steps to Install CWM/TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked.
- Download the fastboot zip file and Recovery image file on the computer.
- Extract fastboot zip file to a convenient location on the computer and place the recovery image file in the same folder.
- Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable.
- Switch off the phone and enter the phone into fastboot mode by pressing the power button and then the volume up button.
- Now, go to the folder where the fastboot zip file was extracted and the recovery image file is present and open the command prompt.
- Now type the following command and press enter.
fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v4.img
- It will install the CWM and TWRP recovery on your phone.
- Once the process is complete, remove the USB cable and reboot the phone.
To enter the CWM recovery, switch off the phone and press power button and wait for Sony logo then press volume up button. To enter TWRP recovery, switch off the phone and then press power button and wait until Sony logo appears then press volume down button.