The CyanogenMod team are diligent in their pursuit of supporting more and more devices with each passing day. And with their latest CM 10.2 builds allowing users to experience Android 4.3, the users are eagerly waiting for their devices to show up in the list of added devices on the CyanogenMod website. The Nexus 7 (2013) LTE version tablet and the LG G2 international version smartphone were the new devices to be offered official CyanogenMod support last week. And now the Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the latest device to be added to this list.
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra was a major upgrade over the Xperia Z smartphone. Launched in July of this year, the device sports an enormous 6.4 inch Triluminos display with a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, 2.2 Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal storage which can be expanded up to 64 GB via a microSD card. It has an 8 MP rear camera, 2 MP front camera but no LED flash. It has a 3050 mAh battery and originally ran on Android 4.2. Just like the Xperia Z, it is water and dust proof. We had previously seen how to install Paranoid Android 3.99 ROM on this device. Let us now proceed in installing CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Xperia Z Ultra bootloader must be unlocked
- Xperia Z Ultra must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 10.2 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and the Gapps zip files and copy them to the SD card of your device.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Now perform a “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Next wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install zip”, then “Select zip” and choose the CM 10.2 zip file.
- Again select “Install zip”, then “Select zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have thus successfully installed CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM on your Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.