The CyanogenMod 11 ROM for the Wi-Fi edition of the Nexus 7 (2013) tablet has been released letting users experience the latest CM ROM on their device. The CM team’s initial release was a M snapshot build which is considered to be more stable than a nightly. However, with Google rolling out updates to Android 4.4, the CM team have now started developing nightly builds for the tablet.
The second generation Nexus 7 tablet initially ran on Android 4.3 and received the Android 4.4 update along with the other Nexus devices. We had recently seen how to install the official Android 4.4.2 update on this device. Now, let’s see how to install the CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 7 (2013):
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2013) with Custom recovery (TWRP) installed
- Unlocked bootloader
- Official CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.
- Turn off the device and boot into fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, then press and hold Power. Once there, keep on pressing the Volume Up button until you see “Recovery” and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- Now tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Go back to recovery and tap on “Install”. Select the CM 11 zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Again go back and select the Gapps zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Finally tap on “Reboot System”.
The official CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM has been successfully installed on your Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi edition tablet.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and so may contain few bugs.