The Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone was left out of the Android 4.4 OS update that was rolled out to other recent Nexus devices. As a result, its users are stuck with Android 4.3 on their device with official updates of further versions out of the picture. We previously did however cover how you can install Android 4.4 on the Galaxy Nexus by flashing an AOSP ROM. And now, the CyanogenMod team have also come out with their official Android 4.4 ROM for the device.
The Galaxy Nexus was launched in 2011 by Google in collaboration with Samsung. It was the second such joint collaboration between the two companies after launching Nexus S the year before. The Galaxy Nexus featured a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED 720p display, dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB RAM, 16 GB storage, 5 MP rear camera and 1.3 MP front facing camera. It originally ran on Android 4.0, which was launched along with the smartphone, and received its final update in the form of Android 4.3. Let us now see how to install the CM 11 ROM, based on Android 4.4, on the device.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9250)
- Latest CWM custom recovery installed
- Official CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- Now switch off your phone and boot into recovery.
- Next perform “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Now perform “Wipe Cache” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your phone.
You have successfully installed official CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9250).
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and may contain some bugs.