The International version of Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) has started receiving official CM 11 builds from CyanogenMod. The ROMs are nightly builds but as the device recently received an official Android 4.3 update, an Android 4.4 update may take quite a while and installing the CM 11 ROM allows its users to upgrade to Android 4.4.
The Galaxy S3 has a 4.8 inch Super AMOLED screen, a 1.4 GHz quad core Cortex-A9 processor and 1 GB of RAM. The internal storage varies from 16, 32 to 64 GB with an additional 64 GB expandable by a microSD card. It also has an 8 MP rear camera and a 1.9 MP front facing camera. We had previously seen how to install Android 4.4 on it by flashing the Omni ROM. Let us now see the steps involved in installing Android 4.4 by flashing the official CM 11 ROM.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) must be rooted
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Turn off your device and boot into recovery mode.
- Now perform a “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed CM 11 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300).
Note: The ROMs are still nightly builds and may contain bugs.