The CyanogenMod 11 nightly ROMs for the Qualcomm based Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) have been released letting its users experience Android 4.4 on their device. The device was one of the few that received the Android 4.3 update from Samsung recently. Therefore, installing this ROM will allow its users to run Android 4.4 on their devices now itself rather than waiting for the official update which may not arrive soon.
The Galaxy S4 being Samsung’s flagship device boasts of very impressive specs. The international version (GT-I9505) is powered by a 1.9 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor. It has a 5″ Full HD Super AMOLED screen, 2 GB DDR3 RAM and 16/32/64 GB internal storage options along with further 64 GB external storage which can be expanded by a microSD card. It has a 13 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front facing camera. Let us now see how to install the CM 11 ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
- Latest CWM custom recovery installed
- Official CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Now turn off your phone and boot into recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding volume up, home and power buttons. The phone will vibrate after some time and then you may release the power button but still pressing the other two. Once some blue text appears on the top left of the screen, you may let go the remaining two buttons as well.
- Now perform “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Next perform “Wipe Cache” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully installed official CyanogenMod 11 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).
Note: The ROMs are currently in the nightly stages so there might be few bugs in it.