The CyanogenMod team have started rolling out their Android KitKat builds for various devices. The CM 11 ROMs are still in nightly stages but CyanogenMod features on Android 4.4 is certainly a must have combination on any device. The Nexus 4 first received a M snapshot build but nightly builds are being rolled out now for constant bug fixes and additional features.
The Nexus 4 recently received Android 4.4.2 update from Google along with the other current batch of Nexus devices. The CyanogenMod team would surely try to merge it in their builds as soon as possible along with other new features. We had already seen how to install this ROM on the Nexus 5. Follow the below steps to install it on the Nexus 4.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 4 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 4.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the Volume up, Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously.
B. Use the Volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- Now perform a “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Next perform “Wipe Cache” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed official CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM on your Nexus 4.
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stages and so may contain few bugs.