CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. It is a hugely popular community and there are tons of users who use their CM ROMs. The latest device to get the CM 10.1 ROM is Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505.
The CM 10.1 ROM was released very recently for this device so there are some bugs – no IR Blaster, possible bluetooth disconnection issues, possible WiFi and data issues on first nightly. All this should be cleared up by the second build. Note that this ROM is only for the International Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505. It should not be used on any other variants or carriers. Follow the instructions given below to install CM 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery installed on the Galaxy S4 i9505 (eg CWM)
- CM 10.1 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Make sure that USB debugging is enabled on the phone.
- Then create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the CM 10.1 zip file and Gapps zip file and place it on the SD card of the phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the CM 10.1 zip file.
- Now again clear cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ”Install zip from SD card”, then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.