CyanogenMod ROMs are one of the most widely used custom ROMs in the Android world. Their success as a group of developers has even led to them starting their own organization and continuing their contribution towards the development of Android. Their latest ROM, CM 11, is based on the Android 4.4 KitKat OS and has already been released for various devices. The Nexus 7 (2012) 3G variant tablet is one such device for which the ROM has been developed and is ready for installation.
Google launched the Nexus 7 tablet in collaboration with Asus last year. The 7-inch tablet was a success and a second generation Nexus 7 was launched this year. The 2012 Nexus 7 had a 1.2 GHz quad-core Cortex-A9 processor, 1.2 MP camera, 1 GB RAM and 16/32 GB internal storage. We had previously seen how to install the Android 4.4.2 update which it received recently. Let us now see how to install the official CyanogenMod 11 ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 7 (2012):
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2012) 3G variant tablet
- Bootloader of the tablet must be unlocked
- Latest TWRP custom recovery installed
- Official CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 7 (2012) tablet.
- Turn off your tablet and boot into fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. Once there, keep on pressing the Volume Up button until you see “Recovery” and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- After entering recovery, tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Now go back to recovery and tap on “Install”. Select the CM 11 ROM zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Again go back and select the Gapps zip file this time and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- After the installation has been completed, tap on “Reboot System”.
The official CyanogenMod 11 (CM 11) ROM has been successfully installed on your Nexus 7 (2012) 3G variant tablet.
Note: The ROM is still a nightly and so may contain few bugs.