The Samsung Galaxy S2 is still one of the most popular and widely used smartphone. As a result, development for it is still strong with many developers regularly releasing their latest ROM builds that can be installed on the device. And now, the CyanogenMod team have rolled out their ROM based on Android 4.4 KitKat. The CM 11 nightlies are now up and running on their website and are ready to be installed on the Galaxy S2, enabling its users to experience Android 4.4.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 was launched in 2011 and had a 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus screen. It was powered by a 1 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB RAM. It had 16/32 GB internal storage options which could be further expanded by 32 GB via microSD card. It also had a 8 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front facing camera. It originally ran on Android 2.3.4 and was later upgradable to Android 4.1. We had previously seen how to run Android 4.4 on it by installing an unofficial version of the CM 11 ROM. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the official CM 11 ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) must be rooted
- Latest CWM Custom Recovery installed
- Official CM 11 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest CM 11 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy S2.
- Reboot your device and boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
- Then select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
- Now select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the CM 11 ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully installed official CM 11 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).
Note: The ROM is still a nightly build and may contain few bugs.