The PACman ROM team have developed the Android 4.4.2 builds of their ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) which is now ready to download and install on the device. The PACman ROM packs core features from the CyanogenMod ROM, AOKP ROM and the Paranoid Android ROM in addition to their own individuality. Although the builds are nightlies, it is a great way to experience the best features of three ROMs at the same time along with running Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your device.
Launched in 2012, the Galaxy S3 has a 4.8 inch Super AMOLED screen, 1.4 GHz quad core Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB of RAM, 8 MP rear camera and 1.9 MP front facing camera. The internal storage comes with options of 16, 32 and 64 GB with an additional 64 GB which can be expanded by a microSD card. It also has a 2100 mAh battery. We had previously seen how to run Android 4.4 on it by installing the AOKP ROM and the official CM 11 ROM. Let us now see the steps involved in installing the PACman ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) must be rooted
- Latest CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed
- PACman ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest PACman ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the SD card of your Galaxy S3.
- Now turn off your phone and boot into recovery mode.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.
If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the PACman ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- Finally reboot your device.
You have successfully installed PACman ROM (Android 4.4.2) on your Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300).
Note: The ROM is still in nightly stage and so may contain few bugs.